I like lists. They make me happy. They keep me focused. Lists are my friends.
I tell my sons to make lists. They haven’t discovered the wisdom of such a simple task, but isn’t it the simple things that offer the most satisfaction?
Caroline Miller, in Creating Your Best Life, swears by them. My bucket list came from her book. I think that book was the doorway into the crazy and amazing life I’m currently living. Lists help us focus on what we want in life–our goals. Lists help us break down those goals into meaningful steps. And it may take a little while, but if you follow those lists, you’ll get where you want to go.
I enjoy reading other people’s lists. There is one going around Facebook right now that requires people to list a certain number of facts about themselves. The number is assigned by the person whose list status you “liked.” I received 25 and I list them below (with tongue-in-cheek) so that you can get to know me better.
- I’m a MILF not a Cougar. Remember, it’s all about mystery.
- I want to live in a house that can travel anywhere.
- I’m Irish-Italian with a touch of Viking, Greek, and Egyptian.
- My life is mostly 3Ws: Working, Working out and Writing.
- I’m trying to fit in the 4th W, making Whoopee, but haven’t found the right person yet.
- I’m a published author as of 2013 but I’ve been writing coherent short stories since I was 12.
- I’m an introvert but that only means I need to recharge alone after I’ve hung out with awesome people.
- I love to sing karaoke and my bucket list includes an entry that I will sing karaoke in one major city of each state and the District of Columbia.
- My job lets me travel all over the country. I’ve met fabulous, interesting people and have managed to sing karaoke in CA, GA, FL, CO, VA, TX and MD (I just started this bucket item last year).
- I’m pagan.
- I’m a Jesus freak.
- I’m also the Morrighan’s hand maiden.
- I’ve embraced the mystery of sex-blood-death.
- I am a metal junkie.
- I do not care for donuts but I like meat, mead, metal, coffee and Mr. Krasman’s metal reviews.
- My son is an awesome drummer for Xstrophy who will be playing the Fishhead Cantina in Halethorpe, MD on 11/23 and yes, I will be there, probably selling merchandise.
- I have a wicked sense of humor.
- I’m too smart for my own good.
- My cat’s name is Mr. Hanky the Christmas Pooh in honor of the cat who preceded him, Pooh Bear.
- My other cat’s name is Research & Development (R.D.) because he is an idiot.
- Both my cats are from a rescue shelter (they make the best pets).
- I enjoy doing things that scare the crap out of me emotionally because it reminds me that I should live instead of giving a crap what others think.
- My favorite song right now is Get Over It by Battlecross because they must have met my ex-boyfriend and thought he was a complete douche as well.
- I think life is hilarious.
- I took a Brief Strengths test that ranked the 24 human strengths in order based on my answers. At #1 was Courage/Valor because I am a great person to have at your back. At #24? Humility.
I encourage you to comment. Pick one of the following numbers: 3, 5, 7, 9. Tell me that many things about yourself. Dig deep. Say crazy things that you know are true, things that you dream about doing, things that scare you witless because what would [name of influential person in your life whom you don’t want to disappoint] think?
After you’re done, I want you to look at that list. I want you to put a star next to one of the items that you think is important enough to pursue. I want you to put exclamations after it on the post. I want you to paste it on my blog, right here, in big bold letters, that this is something you’re going to do or that you’re going to cultivate within yourself.
Once you’ve made your choice, go do it. Make your lists. Wade into the fray. Give your battle cry. I’ll be cheering you on. This blog has your back.