Personal Writing Goals for 2014

blog-hop-button

When you set goals, you tell your subconscious mind, “Work on this.”   Even if you’re not so sure how to go about reaching a goal, just setting that goal down on paper makes it more real than if it continued to float aimlessly about in your head.

As an example, I am setting my personal writing goals for this year in the paragraphs below.

Overarching Goal: Write through a rough draft without editing.

The Overarching Goal is my aspiration. This is the ideal I hope to attain. I want to set this goal just out of my reach to make me work harder. I’ve met the goal if by the end of the year I have moved toward the ideal. Doing this gears my subconscious to accept less than perfection. As some of us know, perfection can be as great a saboteur as lack of organization.

Sometimes I think the crying pie is a little too small in this graphic...

Sometimes I think the crying pie is a little too small in this graphic…

Now I’m going to set up my Sub-Goals. The Sub-Goal addresses a self-imposed obstacle that is holding me back from achieving my Overarching Goal.

Sub-Goal #1: Complete my romance novel. I am notorious for half finished stories and half-finished does not sell.

Sub-Goal #2: Take on writing assignments with deadlines. I want the pressure of a deadline to hold me accountable to my writing.

Sub-Goal #3: Post on my blog at least twice a week. Inertia is not my friend and I want to keep this train moving.

Sub-Goal #4: Structure and schedule the social media forums that I enjoy using. I use social media to avoid writing, especially when I’m stuck.

Now that I have sub-goals, I need to break them down into an Action List.

Action 1: Set a deadline to complete the first draft of the romance novel and write to meet that deadline.

Action 2: Accept the publisher’s assignment to a series with deadlines and multiple publication credits and attend the conference call.

Action 3: Create a list of blog topics and set up a blog schedule. (One of the previous action items was to join a Blog Hop. Now I’m committed to generating one blog post every two weeks.)

Action 4: Select the three most enjoyable social media applications, make pros and cons lists for each, and select the one with the most advantages to devote 10 minutes of activity a day.

Once I’ve completed this Action List, I can create another Action List that moves me forward. One action a week in each sub-goal will move me towards my overarching goal. I can do more than one action, but I must commit to one action per week and that will help me set realistic goals based on what my schedule looks like that week.

The Overarching Goal, the Sub-Goals, and the Action Lists can change at any time as I discover what works and doesn’t work. My writing career is a work in progress and I’m okay with that. I’m learning that accountability is a key to my success so I will give updates on my goals throughout the Blog Hop.

To see all the posts in this Blog Hop, click here.

Copyright © 2014 iokirkwood.com. “Personal Writing Goals for 2014” by I.O. Kirkwood. All rights reserved.

17 thoughts on “Personal Writing Goals for 2014

1. Karen says:

An excellent plan! This is a worthwhile strategy. You are going to make it. 🙂

2. Wow! You are ambitious. Good ideas.

3. Great plan! Maybe you’ll be in on my conference call – looking forward to the new genre!

4. This is a great post, encouraging as well as direct and specifically helpful. thanks.

5. Tracy Krauss says:

Wow! You really broke it down!

6. I really liked your suggestion of setting one over-arching goal for the week. I think that would help me. I always focus on what I don’t get done rather than on what has been accomplished.
    You mention drafting without edits. Have you done National Nov. Writing Month – http://www.nanowrimo.org/? I found it a great help to get 50,000 words of skeleton down for my book She Does Not Fear the Snow. A friend did it in 2013 and sent what she’d scribbled to a publisher who’s now asking her to tidy it up for publication…

• Yes, I signed up for it and did move forward, but it was lonely going. My attempts to meet up with other writers during that time met with some serious logistical obstacles. I’m actually moving ahead on that goal as I’ve hit a rather difficult scene and I just set down a couple of goals and moved around it to the next. It was liberating!

7. Bonnie Way says:

This looks like a great plan! I like your strategy for scheduling social media. I also use it as a distraction. 🙂

8. Your goals are well-organized and inspiring. I love the details as well as your overarching goal idea. Thanks for the great tips.

9. Bev says:

You’ve got some impressive goals and action plans to achieve them. All the best.

10. Hi I. O. Kirkwood. I love your process of breaking your goals into sub-goals and action steps. That’s definitely how to move toward the mark! It would be interesting if, at the end of the year, we all reported on how we did. All the best in finishing that novel!

11. Sara Davison says:

Wow, very impressive. Best wishes on achieving your goals in 2014!

12. You’ve got some wonderful goals lined up. Sound like a busy time ahead. But us writers do live a busy life. Sometimes it’s hard to stay focused. I pray that God will guide you in all you do.

13. A most excellent plan, not only outlining the goals, but how you will achieve them. Atta girl!

14. Janis Cox says:

I love the planning. I am not good at that. I guess I could blend planning and Holy Spirit leading. Will work on that.
    Blessings,
    Janis

15. Awillaway says:

I must say I’m a little jealous of your goals. They’re so structured and defined, I can definitely see success in meeting your goals this year. I have to agree with you…I also use social media as a distraction and I need to work on pulling myself away from it a bit. This is a very good post. I hope that 2014 is very good to you.

16. Rose F says:

I think it’s great that you have a plan! Good luck achieving your goals.

Post your thoughts here:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s